Many people who come to the Barn and Retreat Center and Boyds Mills aren’t looking for “things to do” per se. Many have a focus: they’re with a group at a workshop, meeting, or special retreat; on a personal retreat to focus on work; or with a small group to work and spend time together.
But relaxation and fun are productive too! There are amazing things to do nearby, and beauty all around our property.
We’re tucked away in the scenic Upper Delaware River Valley, in the Pocono Mountains foothills. We’re surrounded by a 1,300-acre forest, situated just a stone’s throw from Calkins Creek. We’re also just a short drive from Honesdale, PA, Narrowsburg, NY, Bethel, NY, and Calicoon, NY.
There is a lot to experience locally within a short driving distance, including many outdoor adventures.
- Calkins Creamery (Cheesemaking demonstrations available; walk there in less than an hour)
- Beach Lake Bakery (Popular with many locals; walk there in less than an hour)
- Second District Brew Farm and Tasting Room (Walk there in less than an hour)
- Seminary Hill Cidery and Tasting Room (in Callicoon, NY with spectacular views of the Delaware River Valley)
Immerse Yourself in Nature
- 2.5 miles of hiking trails (adjacent to the retreat center on woodsy terrain over 1,300 acres)
- Country roads for a leisurely walk or run
- Irving Cliff Hike
- Lake Wallenpaupack (Popular tourist destination with boating and other lake activities)
- National Park Service (Upper Delaware Scenic and Recreation River)
- Lacawac Sanctuary (Nature trails and year-round educational programming)
- Prompton State Park (Boat launching and picnic areas on a lake maintained but the US Army Corps of Engineers)
- Varden Conservation Area (Educational programming available including guided walks)
- Delaware Highlands Conservancy (Year round programming based on conserving natural resources of the area. Offers winter eagle watching tours; a nature preserve is opening in Fall 2021)
- Kayaking, canoeing, rafting, or tubing on the Delaware River (Lander’s River Trips is close, or bring your own equipment and visit a nearby put-in)
- Train Rides (The historic Stourbridge Line in Honesdale, PA offers a 25-mile train ride along the Lackawaxen River)
- Rail Bike Rides (in Hawley, PA)
- Dorflinger-Sudan Wildlife Sanctuary and Glass Museum
- Lackawana Coal Mine Tour
Cultural & Arts Sites
- Bethel Woods (Original Site of Woodstock)
- Woodstock Museum
- Delaware Valley Arts Alliance (year-round exhibits and events)
- Grey Towers National Historic Site (in Milford, PA; home/garden tour of the ancestral home of Gifford Pinchot, first director of the United States Forest Service and twice elected governor of Pennsylvania)
- Delaware Valley Opera (Performance dates vary)
- Harmony in the Woods (Outdoor Amphitheater in Hawley, PA)